Are you unable to sleep? Even though, you are exhausted, there are times, when you are wide-awake after getting into bed. Medications are not always the answer. Look for healthy alternatives in your kitchen and use them. Change your dinner habits and instead of rich and heavy food, replace them with foods that can help you get your beauty sleep. You read this right! There are foods that can help you sleep. Some of them are given below.
1. Bananas – Your grandmother always insisted on giving you bananas at bedtime. They not only help to cleanse colon but also help you to sleep. These natural muscle relaxants contain tryptophan and melatonin that are stress busters and relax the brain, thereby inducing sleep.
2. Turkey – This food is not just for Christmas. When you have it, last thing at night, you are able to relax and sleep. Turkey contains tryptophan that helps your brain to make serotonin that is an essential sleep inducer. The melatonin in it relaxes your brain.
3. Mashed Potatoes – Although, potatoes are shunned by the diet conscious, these have the lowest Glycemic Index. This means that they don’t enhance sugar levels in your blood. As a result, the sleep inducer, tryptophan is not blocked and you are able to get your beauty sleep. For better results, combine mashed potatoes with buttermilk or milk.
4. Oatmeal – This food that is rich is fiber fills up your belly and makes your comfortably sleepy. In addition, cooked oats also contain melatonin. A dinner of oats cooked in milk will help you sleep the moment you get into bed.
5. Milk – The tradition of drinking warm milk with honey at bedtime has a reason. Although, you may have made faces when you mother forced it down your throat, milk helps the body relax and help you to sleep.
To sleep well, your body needs to manufacture adequate quantity of melatonin and tryptophan. Both of these relax the muscles and induce the brain to shut down for the day. In addition, all these foods are healthy and very nutritive. Bananas, for example, contain magnesium that helps to ease tension from the body. Some people prefer a heavy sugary meal to help them sleep. Sugar will help you sleep only temporarily.
You will only wake up after a few hours and suffer from hypoglycemia. Say goodbye to all caffeine and hypoglycemia inducing foods and you will be able to sleep well.